Tooth Extractions in Livingston, NJ
While our dentist will attempt to preserve your teeth, there are some situations that require one or more teeth to be extracted. People can have their teeth pulled for a variety of reasons in both childhood and adulthood. This is a very common dental practice, and Dr. Eden Seitomer at Livingston Dental Group performs this practice often.
Why Might You Need Tooth Extractions?
Typically, our dentist will attempt to save the tooth. Your tooth may be damaged too badly to save it. In some cases, the tooth can be causing harm or discomfort, so it is better if it’s extracted. These are some of the top reasons that you might need a tooth extracted:
- Tooth decay. Tooth decay occurs when bacteria and acids create a cavity in the tooth. The tooth can be filled by a dentist if caught early enough. If the cavity isn’t treated quickly enough, the decay can progress, continuing to weaken the tooth.
- Tooth damage. Many times, our dentist will attempt to restore a cracked or chipped tooth. In some cases, the crack or chip may go deeper and reach the tooth pulp. If there is an infection or decay, an extraction may be the best option.
- Dental abscess. A dental abscess is an infection that affects the tooth root and tissue. A root canal typically solves this problem, but some abscesses go too deep, damaging the roots.
- Crowding. Sometimes, teeth grow in too close together or are misaligned. A tooth extraction may be done prior to a teenager getting braces. People often have their wisdom teeth removed to help with crowding.
What to Expect with Extractions
If you’re experiencing one of the situations listed above, our dentist near you might suggest an extraction. Here’s how an extraction works:
- You will be given a local anesthetic.
- Our dentist will remove some of the gum and bone tissue.
- In some cases, if your tooth is impacted or difficult to remove, it may be extracted in pieces.
- Our dentist may give you a few dissolvable stitches.
Dr. Eden Seitomer at Livingston Dental Group will give you specific instructions about after-care. Be sure to contact our dentist if you experience any unusual symptoms following the extraction.
Are you in need of extractions near you? Contact our dentist in Livingston, NJ for a tooth extraction. Call Livingston Dental Group today!